Available languages

Useful links
Читать на русском

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ubuntu Touchpad Synaptics Multitouch HP625

I own an hp625 and I run Ubuntu 11.10 on it (it will be 12.04 very soon).
Nowadays you should know very much things in order to do simple things with your hardware if you're running GNU/Linux distribution.

I have noticed that my Synaptics Touchpad has very much possibilities and a very nice Windows tool to configure them. But for GNU/Linux there are not so much graphical tools to do it and they do not cover all the options. It's a real adventure to configure it a little bit. :D

Now, my touchpad is able to simulate
"next" button if I click in the right-top corner
"prev" button if I click in the left-top corner
middle button if I click with two thingers
right button if I click in the right-bottom corner
circular scrolling
scrolling with two fingers
edge scrolling (continuous)
show move/resize window dialog if I click with 3 fingers
move if I click with 3 fingers and move with 3 fingers

Maybe I'll try to set up some more features.
Maybe there will be a nice graphical tool in the future.

I have already tried
 - standard Mouse and Touchpad configuration tool
 - gpointing-device-settings
 - synclient (manual configuration)

For me this combination was just fine(it could be better).
I should run some commands in order to get some keys to work as I want them.

synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3
After this command middle and right buttons are fine (see above).

synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 HorizEdgeScroll=1
After this command edge scrolling works much better.

synclient LTCornerButton=8 RTCornerButton=9
After this command "Next" and "Previous" buttons are fine (see above).

Related links:
Finding the Mouse Button Codes Navigate in Ubuntu Nautilus Using the Mouse Back/Forward Buttons :: Chris Jean
Touchpad Synaptics - ArchWiki
Touchpad Synaptics (Русский) - ArchWiki
Touchpad Synaptics/10-synaptics.conf example - ArchWiki
Synaptics Touchpad - Gentoo Linux Wiki
Synaptics Touchpad/Xorg 7.3 - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Problematic things:
 - /etc/rc.local does not start at boot time
   Do no try to fix it. You'd better write a bash script and add it to StartUp Applications (graphical ubuntu tool).
 - xbindkeys does not work. I did not even need it. I did not fixed it.

No comments: